NO ONE SHOULD LOOK BETTER THAN YOU!
1. No one should present themselves better than you!
2. Clean shaven. No goatees, moustache neatly trimmed.
3. Uniforms vs civilian clothing
- Make sure your uniform is not too tight – you don't want one of the buttons to fly off and hit one of the assessors!
- Make sure your sport coat doesn't look like a used car salesman's
- Wear the best suit or sport coat you own
- If possible, wear a tie – make sure the colors match
- If the choice is between a sport coat and your dress uniform, we suggest you wear your dress uniform.
- Casual attire is not appropriate
4. Personal grooming
- Hair cut, but not recently (a week old at least)
- fingernails and hands must be clean
5. Wrinkled clothes – never!
6. "Shined shoes" seem like no big thing, but are noted by assessors as another "intangible" as you are walking in the room.
7. The old adage,
"You only get one chance to make a good first impression," is never more true and critical than in an oral interview. The assessors will begin to score you before you even open your mouth. Remember, charisma comes not from what is being said but what is seen.
If you would like to review additional promotional exam prep packages, go to our Assessment Center Exam Prep pages at the links below:
Promotional Oral Interview Exam Prep
Fire Tactical Exam Prep
Subordinate Counseling Exam Prep
Lieutenant/Captain/Battalion/Deputy Chief In-Basket Exam Prep
Leaderless Group Exam PrepTest-taking Strategies & Career Articles
Don McNea Fire School's Assessment Center
Exam Preparation has been put together by Fire Chiefs who are nationally-recognized authors and who have been assessors for thousands of assessment center examinations.
As always, all of our Assessment
Center Exam Prep products come with a no-risk guarantee. If you are not completely
satisfied, we will refund 100% of the product cost – no questions asked.